Friday, September 16, 2016

Month in Review: August

August was a busy month for me. It was full of travel and adventures, good-byes and welcomes, new friends and old.



1.    DC Trip- I started the month with a wonderful family road trip to Washington DC. I’d been to DC several times before, but I love that there are always new things to explore there. We spent a day visiting Alexandria, VA- seeing historical buildings that are part of one of me and Ruth’s favorite TV shows, Mercy Street. We also got to visit the headquarters of Catholic Charities USA and met the CEO, Sister Donna Marckham, who is SUCH a cool lady. Another day spent touring Georgetown, since Ruth is interested in going to college there. We also made time to visit the usual DC sites- the National Mall, Arlington National Cemetery, the White House, and the Smithsonian museums. However, the greatest treat was getting a chance to see my friends Jessica, Abby, and Ena who have all just moved to DC. Listening to the Backer playlist, drinking wine, and chatting made us feel just like we were back at Notre Dame. My last night Abby and Jess joined me up some rooftop yoga above the city. Comme c’est rein d’était!


2.   Mother Daughter Time- My last weekend at home was spent at the cottage with my mom. We went to go see a play at the Barn Theater in Port Sanilac. We also had wine, cheese, and lots of desserts- our favorites. I treasure all of our long walks on the beach as we spent lots of talking and sharing together. It was so special to have that time together before I left.


3.   Notre Dame and Orientation- Another highlight of the last month was going back to campus for Teach Bhríde orientation. It was so wonderful to catch up with countless old friends and see campus again. It was also so exciting to meet the people I’d be spending the next year with in Ireland and learn more about job. We had a lovely sending off mass and party. The last night at ND, I walked around campus at sunset, saying good-bye to all my favorite places. It’s still so crazy that I’m not going back this year.


4.   Kylemore Abbey- Teach Bhríde was so lucky to begin our time in Ireland at Kylemore Abbey. We sang at the opening ceremony for the Notre Dame Centre at Kylemore Abbey. It was such a privilege to stay at the new center at the abbey. We also go to eat some amazing meals, meeting some very important Notre Dame people, and explore the gorgeous Connemara area.


5.   Welcome to Wexford- Finally, I made it to Wexford! Our first days were spent getting to know the city, the team we are working with, and the house we are living in. Wexford is a gorgeous town along the Irish Sea. It looks like a fairy tale city! The parish community at Clonard has been so welcoming to us. I’m so excited for the work that Teach Bhríde will do with our new friends.


Wow! What a month! Stay tuned for some upcoming articles about our house and it’s heritage.


No comments:

Post a Comment