Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Month in Review: November

November is one of my least favorite months. I feel as if it annually brings blustery angst and grey, cloudy sadness. This November was no different in it’s cosmic way of attracting difficulty. I found myself sick, first with the flu, then later a cold and sinus infection. I also felt a bit run over the by US Presidential election, which I’m sure you can tell if you read my last blog. Despite November’s dismal darkness, there were many wonderfully moments that helped lift my spirits and propel me into a joyful December.




1)   Radio Show- One of the most exciting things about this month was that my house launched a radio show together. The show runs for four weeks during Advent and Christmas. It’s been really fun brainstorming song and reflections together and even more fun to share them on the radio. Our show plays on Southeast Radio, Sunday evenings at 8:30pm (Ireland time). You can tune in, regardless of where you are, via their website.


2)   Thanksgivings- One of the thing that worried me about a year abroad was missing family holidays. However, this year left me in no deficit of Thanksgiving. My housemates and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 40 of our friends in Wexford. I was worried at first about cooking for so many people, when I’d never really cooked Thanksgiving before, but luckily it went off without a hitch. I even made my mom’s famous pecan rolls, which were a hit. Later that week, I traveled to Dublin to celebrate Thanksgiving with ACE Ireland and Friendsgiving with Teach Bhride Dublin. It was amazing to celebrate such the holiday with old friends and new, American and Irish.


3)   London- After Thanksgiving, I started a week of traveling. My first stop was a day wandering through London. London has always been one of my favorite cities and it was even more beautiful done up for Christmas. My day included visiting the National Gallery, having the most luxurious cappuccino at Notes Coffee, lingering in Covent Garden, wandering through SoHo, getting lost in Liberty’s, and ending the day in Hyde Park. It was wonderful to get a London fix and I hope I’ll be back sooner than later.


4)   Oxford- I was lucky to spend a day in Oxford with my housemate Madeline visiting our friend Allison. From having the avocado toast of my dreams at brunch, to visiting Harry Potter filming locations at New College, to mulled cider in cozy pubs, to the cutest candle lite carol service at Keble College, to drinks and pizza with new friends- it was a perfect day. I swear Oxford gets more and more magical each time I visit.


5)   Zurich- The month in ended in the very, very best way possible- reuniting with my best friend Katie in Zurich. I loved getting to spend hours catching up. It also helped that Zurich was the dreamiest place I’ve ever been. The mountains, towering spires, and Christmas markets were nothing short of enchanting. While Katie was doing important Space Things, I got a chance to explore Zurich taking a boat tour, climbing to top of Grossmunster, visiting the Kunsthaus art museum, and strolling down Banhofstrasse (the most expensive street in Europe- YIKES). I can’t stop talking about how amazing it was to visit Zurich and to see my bestie. If anything lifted me from my dark November place- it was this trip.


 The Christmas markets, mulled wine, and carols have definitely put me into a holiday spirit and I’m excited to see how December unfolds.


No comments:

Post a Comment