Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Soundtrack: Of My Summer



Having just arrived in Ireland, it's hard for me to process the adventures I've already had and the strange combination I have of exhilaration and trepidation I have moving forward. So, this week, I'm just going to write about music.

This has been a summer of huge transitions for me, dwelling in the awkward gab between being a student and what comes after being student. Without school work, I listened to a lot less music than normal. But as it always goes, music and place are tied together deeply for me. I know that when I listen to these songs, I'll always remember the person I was in the summer of 2016.

--
Find it on Spotify: Here // Or Here

God Only Knows- She&Him // This song crept into my playlist the end of the semester. I made me think a lot about my friends that I'd made at Notre Dame and how grateful I was for them in my life. At the same time, it reminded me of my family, who I was also grateful to spend the summer with.
Oh My Love- Layla // This song reminds me a bit of the writing project I worked on during the summer. It also is just sounded cool.
Make This Leap- The Hunts // I loved this song because it was all about transition, something I was getting to know very well over the summer. Just like the previous song, it was tied to the writing project I was working on.
These Waters- Ben Howard // I spend a lot of time at the beach this summer, so this song reminded me a lot of that. It's also about new starts, music, and community- this all tied to my new adventure in Ireland.
Dogs- Damien Rice // This is basically about a girl doing yoga, which resonated with all the yoga I was doing over the summer. It also has an interesting story that the lyrics told, which makes it an intriguing song in general.
Come Undone- Adam Barnes // This song was on of those songs that wasn't particularily about faith, but it had a spiritual message that resonated with me. It makes me think of God's presence in nature, in darkness, in light, and all around us.
Again and Again- Tessa Rose Jackson // This is another song that reminded me of my weekends in northern Michigan. It has a playful, seaside quality and reminds me of summer adventures.
Find Love- Clem Snide // This song is so incredibly beautiful. It's soft and subtle message has become my intention for the next year.
Library Magic- The Head and the Heart // I love everything about this song. Literally every part of it resonates with me in a particular way. Libraries, clear waters, full size beds- this song is everything.
Beginners- Matt Fowler // Here I am at a new part of life, not knowing what comes next or exactly what to do. This song sums up the feeling of newness and acceptance of uncertainty. Also, the threads of La Vie En Rose in the background of it only endears it to me even more.

Bonus Track: J'aime les oiseaux- Yann Perreau // This song doesn't fit the aesthetics of this playlist, but it isn't a complete description of my summer without it. This bizarre French song came on French radio this summer and it's been making me giggle ever since. For those who don't speak French, it's basically about a guy who hates lots of things, but loves birds.

--

Hopefully I'll have more articulate reflections to share next week. But till then, enjoy the music has been inspiring me as of late.




No comments:

Post a Comment