Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Travel Tips: Told in Travel Disasters

Next week at this time, I’ll be flying to Ireland. I already can’t wait, but till then I’m packing and preparing to go. This has made me reflect on the things I’ve learned from traveling in the past. Each and every very trip I’ve taken has been wonderful and I’m immensely grateful. At the same time, I have quite a few traveling disasters under my belt. These have made for great stories, but were pretty frustrating and stressful at the time. I’m all for turning everything into learning experiences, so here are some things I’ve learned from my travel disasters.



Tip #1: Your packing is only as good as your luggage

Last May, I was flying from my semester in Paris to my internship in Dublin. This meant cleaning my Paris room that I’d been living in for the last 5 months. Since I had so many things to take with me, I decided to buy an extra duffle bag to transport my stuff in. I was so excited when I found a 12 euro duffle at a store called “Pas Cher” (English: Not Expensive). I stuffed it full of mugs, blankets, books, and sweaters that I wanted to take with me. I was less thrilled when said duffle bag’s zippers fell off when I left for the cab. And even less thrilled when it completely fell apart in the airport. Fun fact, if your duffle bag falls apart, you are given a trash bag and a roll of duct tape. This is perhaps not the best way to make a first impression to your intern group. Moral of the story, be savvy and pennywise while traveling, but don’t skimp on luggage.

Photo Credit: O'Connell House
(Not pictured: My trashbag filled with my belongings)
Tip #2: Make time for sleep before travel

On the same relocation from Paris to Dublin, I also made another crucial error.  Around 6PM the night before my flight, I left with my friends to go grab dinner and recreate the walk we took our first night in Paris (from our dorm to the Eiffel Tower and back). We only did half the walk, as we reached the Eiffel Tower we realized it was already 10PM (our original walk took us till 2 in the morning). When I got back, it was nearly 11PM. I had packed all my clothes earlier in the day, but left all the rest of my stuff to pack when I got back. Turns out, it took several hours to pack up the rest of my stuff. Since my flight took off at 7AM, I was planning on checking out at 4AM. At 3AM, I had to make the decision between a pre-travel shower or an hour of sleep. I picked the sleep, which meant when I arrived in Dublin I was both exhausted and smelly. Moral of the story, don’t procrastinate packing, don’t forget to sleep.



Tip #3: Don’t over-caffeinate and fly

When I was heading to Greece from Munich last year, I got to my flight a little early and decided to grab a cappuccino. The barista gave me a massive drink, but I drank it all anyway. When I got to my layover in Vienna, I was shaking and nauseous. I decided the only solution was chug a water bottle. This meant a lot of bathroom breaks on my Vienna to Greece flight where I had a window seat. PSA, it’s awkward if you try to crawl over the sleeping lady next to you, who you don’t want to bother, and then she wakes up. Moral of the story, just don’t mix travel and massive cappuccinos.



Tip #4: Just don’t use train ticket kiosks

I can recount many a crisis I had because of train ticket kiosks. I missed two trains from Paris to Reims because of them. I had a near disaster in London, when my dad booked my EuroStar ticket to be picked up at a kiosk using the credit card it was booked with- but that credit card was in America with my dad. All of these situations were resolved eventually and I made it to all my destinations eventually, but it sure would have been a lot of easier without those dang kiosks. Moral of the story, ticket kiosks complicate your life, just deal with train tickets from in person vendors.



Tip #5: Don’t judge an AirBNB by its cover

I love AirBnB. I love getting to see into life in the city by renting an apartment, plus I enjoy the extra privacy and the affordability. So when my friends and I headed to Belgium last summer, we booked an AirBnB without a second thought. We picked out one that was cute, affordable, and not far from central Brussels. It also had no reviews, but we didn’t mind. That meant it was new right? That was till we got there and realized we had no running water or wifi. Let’s just say, it was a bonding weekend for us. On the plus side we got our money back- so free housing in Belgium, right? Moral of the story, read the reviews for your AirBnB (and if there aren’t reviews, find a different one).



Tip #6: Location is everything

I was pretty pumped when one of my friend’s had a discount for a hotel and invited me along to join in on a trip to Cannes during Film Festival. However, we were both less than thrilled when we discovered that we’d booked a hotel in “La Cannette.” We had thought it would be slightly out of the center of town, but it was actually a suburb that was an hour walk up a hill. During the hot, summer heat and with our backpacks, this wasn’t a happy trek to make. Moral of the story, lodging locations make a huge difference. Before you book a hotel, do a quick Google maps check to determine how long the walk will be from where you are planning to stay to the places you are hoping to visit.



Tip #7: Be Prepared for Anything

Last year when I showed up in Paris, due to an administrative error on Notre Dame’s part, we were told that we had no place to stay. Cue panicking. A few months later, I was trying to take a bus to London and my printer would only print out my bus ticket in a teeny tiny size. Cue more panicking. A few months after that, I went to mass at the Vatican for Easter Sunday on a sunny morning that turned into freezing rain. What? Anything can happen when you travel and the longer you traveling, the weirder things will happen. Learning to roll with the punches will help you be graceful about your upsets. It’s all a great chance to grow as a problem solver. Moral of the story, anything could happen- just go with it.




I have lots more travel tips based on my successes instead of failures, which I’ll share in due time, but I must admit that my travel disasters make better stories. I am without a doubt that new year abroad will bring even more stories and tips based on my misadventures. Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment